Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Our First Farm-Raised Chicks

I am proud to announce that our first farm bred to eggs to chicks have finally made their appearance. 

Bramon's Pride (RiRi)
Bramon's Joy


I bought their father (Tron) from a man at a Tractor Supply Swap in Broken Arrow, OK (and he happened to actually be from Wagoner, OK).  His parents were both stunning Lavender English Orpingtons.  I actually bought him as a pair, but sadly the Lavender hen he came with had to be put down due to an upper respiratory infection.  He is now the leader of our flock and is a gentle giant around my daughters and their friends.

Tron (shown regrowing his tail feathers after a molt)


I bought their mother (Bluebell) from a lady that lives way northeast of Coweta, OK.  She said that Bluebell came from a Blue English Orpington hen and either an Isabel Orpington rooster or a Silver Laced Orpington rooster (she wasn't sure which, but those were the only options).  Either way, she was stunning and I knew I had to have her.  She was a sweet hen, began laying one egg a day for 11 days, and then had a heart attack and died.  I was devastated, but unfortunately with chickens, sometimes these things just happen.

Bluebell always posed so beautifully for the camera


Thankfully, I had saved all 11 eggs and put them in the incubator.  Yesterday and today, the first two eggs hatched into these gorgeous Lavender English Orpington chicks.  We named the Bramon's Pride (RiRi for short) and Bramon's Joy.  RiRi hatched on October 2nd, and Joy hatched on October 3rd.. right on schedule!  Since they are Lavenders, I highly suspect that Bluebell's sire was the Isabel Orpington Rooster (you need two Lavender genes to produce a Lavender chick).

Bramon's Pride (left) and Bramon's Joy (right)

The next 7 eggs hatch date should be October 9th, and the 3 eggs after that should hatch on October 16th.  Fingers crossed that the other babies have healthy hatches and that they all turn out as pretty as the first two did!

** I also created a Poultry Pedigree for these babies (and future ones).  Stay tuned for my article with the download for the blank version!

No comments:

Post a Comment