Friday, July 15, 2016

Choosing Fruits and Veggies

Today I have been compiling a list of what veggies/fruits we eat and researching the best place to put them in the garden.  Here is my list:

  • Celery
  • Kale
  • Lettuce
  • Spinach
  • Bell Peppers (Red, Green, and Yellow)
  • Cucumbers
  • Pumpkins
  • Tomatoes
  • Broccoli
  • Chickpeas
  • Green Beans
  • Lentils
  • Peas
  • Sugar snap peas
  • Pinto Beans
  • Garlic
  • Onions
  • Carrots
  • Potatoes
  • Sweet Potatoes
  • Grapes
  • Cranberries
  • Watermelon
  • Cantaloupes
  • Pineapples
  • Raspberries
  • Strawberries
  • Blackberries
  • Blueberries
I did TONS of research on all of these plants.. And then began picking spots out for them on my blueprint (I started up a diagram of our potential homestead on photoshop last night so I can properly scale everything.. it helps my imagination to not get too far ahead of reality). Apparently, taller plants need to be on the north side of the garden (tomatoes, peas, beans.. anything on vertical supports).  I followed this chart to properly place the majority of my plants in my blueprint.

I also read that if you plant marigolds around your garden, it will help keep bugs at bay, so I added those in as well.  Next, I placed my vines (grapes and cranberries) and decided since pineapples are a weird looking bush, they could be placed in the same area as well!  After reading up on fruit bushes and their spacing, I learned that raspberries need to be planted 4 ft apart, blackberries - 3 ft, strawberries - 1 ft, and blueberries - 4 ft.  So I placed those accordingly on my blueprint...

And now onward to planning the orchard and goat pen!


To see my handy blueprint, click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment